Perched in an idyllic natural landscape, between woods of holm oaks and olive trees, about 6 km from the center of Foligno, at an altitude of 565 m a.s.l. at the foot of Mount Serrone, The Abbey of Santa Croce in Sassovivo is one of the most famous monuments in the territory of Foligno. Founded in the second half of the XI century on the remains of a pre-existing fortified residence of the Monaldi, the abbey grew and prospered in great esteem, accumulating over time numerous donations and papal concessions. From the upper courtyard you enter the church rebuilt after the earthquake of 1832, on the right is an altar and in the wall there are several pictorial fragments fifteenth. From the atrium that precedes the church, a small door leads to the beautiful Romanesque cloister (1229), the work of the Roman master Pietro de Maria: in the middle of the cloister is the real of the underlying cistern, built in 1340 and remodeled in 1623.
Finally, it is possible to visit the crypt of San Marone, a Syro-Babylonian hermit who lived in the fourth century near the city of Tyre, whose remains were stolen on November 25, 2005. A part of the Abbey is owned by the Clarici Family of Azienda Agricola Clarici, producer of an exceptional Olive Oil DOP Umbria Bio part of which extracted from olive groves surrounding the Benedictine abbey.